Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Training Tips and schedules: some links

http://www.scrunners.org/ultrasch.php
You can input your race type and date and it works backwards and gives you the schedule. See also http://www.nttr.org/html/training_guidelines.htm
Here is a fantastic all encompassing site for ultra runners

Schedules differ from person to person in detail but what is common are long runs back-back on the weekends and at least one 4h+ run about 4w before the event.
Don't let the schedules and the term Ultra scare you. This 50K is no tougher than a marathon. In fact it is easier since you can walk the whole damn thing if needed. I once got injured in a 50K race after 20K and walked the rest of the 30K to still finish in about 7.5h!
In Bangalore we will schedule training runs to help you (and us) prepare for the Bangalore Ultra.
Here are some nice words by Karl King-I can relate only to the first three statements...
"When my longest run was 13 miles, a marathon seemed nearly impossible.
When my longest run was 26 miles, 50 miles seemed nearly impossible.
When my longest run was 50 miles, 100 miles seemed nearly impossible.
When my longest run was 100 miles, 50 miles seemed like a nice, long training run."

Don't let the distance scare you; run from aid station to aid station and the distance will take care of itself.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi,
may I know whose comment is this, please. ( I mean his/her running credentials).

-Arun

Madhu said...

Hello Arun. Which comment are you referring to? I presume it is the one where you posed questions about prize money, affiliation, etc. In that case I (as race director) was the commentator replying to your questions. I am Madhu.
As for race credentials, not sure there are any :-) I coudn't get a job on it for sure. I have done a few ultra-runs here and there.
Regards,

Madhu

Phil Essam said...

Well done Madhu for bringing this together. Im very keen to help promote ultrarunning in India. If you need any help or information, please email me at pessam@bigpond.net.au or visit my blog at http://planetultramarathon.wordpress.com/

Regards and Good luck

Phil Essam
Australia

Madhu said...

Phil,
Hi. This is Madhu. Thanks for visiting our site and your nice words. I visited your blog and I am impressed by your enthusiasm for the sport. Our own effort is modest but I am gratified by the interest generated thus far. Would love to welcome you if you are ever in town.
Regards,
Madhu

About Me

My photo
Inspired by: poetry (Keats, Aurobindo), philosophy (Spinoza, Voltaire, Carl Sagan, Aurobindo, Ayn Rand), Long distance running (Scott Jurec, Ann Trason), Tennis (Roger Federer, Pete Sampras), Music, Sculpture (Michelangelo, Praxiteles), Art (Classicism, Renaissance), Ballet (La Bayadere, Coppelia, Swan Lake, Angel Corella, Michael Flately, Grupo Corpo), Literature (Shakespeare, Wodehouse, Hugo, Eco, Ayn Rand)